[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Sat Dec 20 18:43:35 CET 1997

On 12/12/97 at 08:51 PM, Stephen Zepp <zoran at enid.com> said:
>coder at ibm.net wrote:
>[snip namespace virus explanation]
>[snip "Mike by any other name" discussion]
>> I don't encourage either that convenience or coincidence in my game.  I
>> almost encourage the reverse.
>>

>I am wondering about the inconviencience of walking into a store and
>seeing 20 different sword descriptions, 100 pieces of armor, and 35 types
>of helmets...NONE with names until I "name" them...don't get me wrong, I
>like the idea, but ( I may have missed it ), couldn't _most_ text style
>interaction have some sort of "auto-naming" convention to keep you from
>having to name 150 objects in a room that you may never see again?

Its not a problem as they'll operate off their descritions.  Don't confuse
descriptions and their associated matching nouns, with names.
Descriptions identify classes, names identify (usually) individual items.

  It is a <description>.

  It is the <name>.

>As an aside, I'm slowy developing this sort of namespace concept in my
>estate code.  A player may have quite a few buildings that need to be
>manned with workgroups, and no point-click ( well, not yet ) to assign
>specific workgroups to specific buildings.  Basically, I allow them to
>name "locations", which are just tags kept in their estate file pointing
>to various rooms within the game.  AS I read more about this namespace
>concept, I'm considering "allowing" it, instead of requiring it...objects
>are still "sword" and "helmet", but can also be named specifically within
>the player's information.

Yup, you're confusing descriptions and names.

>P.S switched email progs, workin on getting the nametags in correctly,
>pls be patient :))  Anyone that uses Netscape Communicator 4.04 out there
>with any ideas, please email me :)

<shudder>

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net