[MUD-Dev] Re: Less numbers, more roleplaying.

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Sat Dec 20 19:18:32 CET 1997

On 13/12/97 at 11:29 AM, Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> said: >On
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 coder at ibm.net wrote:

>> Once I get a settled and semi-stable combat design and set of curves, I'll
>> probably setup a basic simulator and run a few hundred million variations
>> thru it on spare CPU cycles while I'm at work, tabulate the results, and
>> slap that in a mini-DB in the game for NPC intelligences to access as
>> "inherited knowledge".
>>
>> It could make for some truly nasty antagonists.  I don't even need to get
>> real optimal solutions -- just a "near enough" along with correct
>> selection of weapon/blow etc should be enough to translate minor fidos
>> into feared killing machines.

>Eep. This sounds astonishingly nasty.

Yup, the wonderfully neat thing about it is that its simple, obvious, and
easy to implement.  all it takes is a single massive computation load up
front to generate the tables.  I can keep the tables fairly shallow to
reserve storage space and allow corner cases to fall out as non-optimal
oversights too.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net