[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Mon Dec 22 20:52:44 CET 1997

Adam Wiggins <nightfall at user1.inficad.com> wrote:
>[Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad:]
>> coder at ibm.net wrote:
>> >If I can ever get the bandwidth problems solved, this will also not be =
an
>> >issue for me.  Everything is logged.  This is a function of DB rollback=
s.=20
[...]
>> An effective way of preventing any valuable social interaction. The
>
>How are you defining 'valuable', here?  Valuable like giving directions
>to a certain location in the game?  Talking about a sports event
>on TV?  Talking about a movie?  Complaining about your spouse?  Mudsex?

Valuable as in having an impact on your understanding of the world,
culture and your own life.  Valuable as in being able exchange
information that increase trust and allows you to form worldwide
friendships. Talking without thinking "Gosh, gotta watch my mouth, I'm
being logged".

>more like the secret decoder ring from Captain Crunch.  Secret handshakes
>and the like.  These are useful for many reasons above and beyond
>log-paranoia.

What reasons? It is fun though, adds to the atmosphere.

>> Anyway, people will find work-arounds.  I would simply fill my history
>> with lots of garbarge every once in a while to make it intractible by
>> cheer information overload.
>
>The situation we are talking about (see JC's statement at the top of the
>message) is not just randomly reading through logs, which sounds
>incredibly boring to me.  In fact, the 'logs' aren't even from a certain
>character's point of view; they are only a list of events that occured
>in the system.  The situation discussed is having someone report a
>problem of some sort (could be a bug, purported harassment, or whatever)
>and having the admin view a list of those events in some format in order
>to see precisely what happened.  In this case your garbage is useless,
>unless you're careful to insert it only while harassing people.

I think JCL meant that you could look at a tree and find out that a
dog barked at it ten minutes ago or something.  That's a whole lot
more fun than this admin control obsession. I might even like to play
such a system.

>much fun.  I personally think it will be at least quite interesting,
>since it's different from anything I've ever played before, and I'm
>always looking for things that are different.  And I will probably also

Exactly, and this is also one of the reasons that makes such public
available logs more acceptable (if users are told), simply because it
presents itself as a weird "distasteful" world where most things are
different.

>> (Good thing only 4 million people speak my language :-)
>
>Hey, maybe more than that.  Lots of good bands from your country -
>I've picked up a few words without even trying.

Which ones?  I haven't found one yet!! :-) (none with norwegian texts
anyway, maybe "street parliament", but only because they are radical
and partially insane)

Ola.