[MUD-Dev] The impact of the web on muds

Vadim Tkachenko vadimt at 4cs.com
Fri Dec 26 17:17:20 CET 1997

##Make Nylander wrote:

> [Original message sent by Greg Munt]
> |
> | I believe that moving muds into a graphical medium would allow greater
> | popularity to be achieved. For many people, the Web *is* the Internet. So
> | let's bring muds to the web.
> |
>         For me, the idea of a graphics-only MUD has always sounded like
>         "we invented video tape, now let's burn all the books!".

Just a side note:

'graphics-only' interface may be there not because of a tendency to
discard everything existent and burn the books, but just because the
interface concepts of text-based and graphics-based interfaces are so
COMPLETELY different, that it's really difficult to implement both of
them simultaneously without handicapping either part.

>         How do you define the Web? Is it just plain HTML, is it JavaScript,
>         is it Java applets, is it ActiveX? Web technology is diverse and
>         constantly changing. Any technology you choose today may be
>         obsolete tomorrow.

Right, and that's why it's really important to keep in mind 20-years old
concept - MVC - Model, View, Controller, which are completely
independent from each other. You create a concept (model) which is cool
- and it will continue to live with any given view, and/or controller.

> Telnet is primitive and restrictive, but it's
>         _accessible_. You can access Telnet-based MUDs via any kind of
>         system from dumb terminals to high-end workstations.

Yeah, but have you ever dived into the _details_ of the telnet protocol?
I've just grepped my telnet support source code (INCOMPLETE!) (grep -i
rfc tt/telnet/*.java | wc -l), and it gave me 37 references to the
corresponding RFCs. It's tough if you implement it in a right way, not
just a dumb I/O stream (as it happens all the time with MUDs - you can't
use backspace, have to press ^H, whatever, you can't scroll one input
line back to correct your typo, etc...)

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <VadimT at 4CS.Com>