[MUD-Dev] Attributions vs brainstorming ( or, JC vs Z :) ) (

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 26 21:19:22 CET 1997

On 26 Dec 97 at 15:16, Stephen Zepp wrote:

> I didn't snip a _thing_..I posted on top of someone else's post ) what was being referred, and in the cases where
> attributions were lost, the quoted text wasn't for specific referreral, but more of a "place marker" within the thread.

FWIW, many of us do not use EMailers that make use of the Reference
field.  So if there are two or more posts with the same subject
line there is no easy way to find the message referred to.
If not a single line is quoted and the message begins "I think
what he is referring to is...", the message becomes even less
clear.

It is interesting that you seem to think that attributions are
done for ego or idea ownership purposes.  This thought had
never occurred to me until now.  I always thought this was for
clarity, readability and courtesy.

What's even more irritating, is this post that I'm now responding
to.  Formatted at 100+ characters and requotes an entire previous
post for no apparent purpose.

--
Jon A. Lambert
"Everything that deceives may be said to enchant" - Plato