[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Sun Dec 28 00:44:10 CET 1997

JC Lawrence <claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM> wrote:
>Even that to the side, what freedom is abridged or compromised by the
>fact of logging?

Isn't that obvious?  The freedom to act in the moment and focus on
whatever seems like a good idea?

>> A robust systems should protect the users from the admins!!! I'm
>> serious!
>
>I don't doubt your sincerity.  I do heavily question the value and
>negative results of protectionism.

What is "protectionism" ?
1. protecting the users from the admins
2. protecting the users from other users through admin control

>There are two original sins:
>
>  1) Being there.
>  2) Communicating.
>
>Everything else pretty well stems from there.

?

The alternative is suicide?

>Whether we like it or note we are about to enter an age where the flow
>of data is both uncontrollable and uncontrolled.  Govt's and other
>such may attempt to delay this change.  They can do nothing to avert
>it entirely.  It is, quite literally, inevitable.

Why?  This is a self-fullfilling prophecy.

You can do quite a lot if you are _aware_ that you are being monitored.
You can avoid having a telephone.
You can avoid buying with cards.
You can browse the web with somebodyelses browser.
I can grow my own food.
Use my own energy powerplant.
Etc.

In addition, I can use the law to enforce some rights that I admit is
somewhat more difficult to enforce, because information hiding is too
easy.  (I've got the right to demand a copy of all information a
source has about me. I've got the right to demand the deletion of that
information) But the case is, if they use the information then I
should have a pretty good case for a lawsuit?

Ola.