[MUD-Dev] Nation of shopkeepers

Alex Oren alexo at bigfoot.com
Tue Jul 1 07:11:42 CEST 1997

Martin Keegan wrote:

} There've been many interesting attempts to provide muds with fully
} functioning (even 'player-run' ;) ) economies. It's quite easy to
} implement player-owned shops. Slightly harder is coding player-run shops.
}
} Note that I said "coding"; actually implementing player-run shops would
} appear to me to be extremely difficult - because giving players incentives
} to sit around behind a counter all day rather than go out and adventure
} would appear to be impossible. This same problem, of no-one being
} interested in the more menial jobs in a mud economy, would seem to stymie
} any decent attempt at a player-run economy, which is a pity.
}
} Does anyone have a solution to this?

Actually, JCL's approach gives an extremely good solution.
Characters go to stand behind the counter when the respective players log off.
It is up to the players to write the appropriate scripts.

Have fun,
Alex.