[MUD-Dev] Life

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Tue Jul 1 17:49:34 CEST 1997

In <Pine.GSO.3.96.970626181112.29959I-100000 at tay>, on 06/26/97
   at 03:35 PM, Martin Keegan <martin at cam.sri.com> said:

>No - the abilities don't pass round to other players. All the players
>in a house are separate entities, but they can share the benefits of
>their house. Most of them tend to be the same human anyway. A house
>is like a family.

Bubba Jones learns how to tie gordian knots.  Is it not reasonable
that Boffo Jones might have s horter learning curve at tieing gordian
knots, if not know it automatically (as taught by Bubba)?

>> >YES! The clan stuff gets interesting. Running more than one house
>> >will be disallowed, but if a house takes a newbie under its wing, and
>> >the newbie starts to grow strong, he may eventually take over the
>> >house when its original player leaves.
>>
>> I can also see a lot of interest value if you allow houses to recruit
>> other players to be members of their house.  You then, by extension,
>> almost get the concept of a house as clan, with player characters as
>> actively sought after and even contested resource for houses.

>During the Eclipse discussions, this idea grew rapidly from a fun
>thought experiment to a raging monster that had to be tamed to
>prevent it from permeating every aspect of the game.

What *sort* of monster?  Lets have some details here...  I have a
suspicion that some would like that raging (and others flee like
curdled lemmings before the Great God GooGoo's flatulence).

>> This also opens the interesting spectre of a player character being a
>> member of two houses, or even an honourary member of non-primary

>The motivation for it was to deal with multi-charring, longevity and
>advancement. Once you have non-primary membership of other houses, it
>gets interesting.

Which was my thought.  You have just added implicit politics.  (Mix in
a Rank points system usch as I recently described and it could get
*really* interesting.)

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com