[MUD-Dev] Integrating PK

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Wed Jul 2 16:41:52 CEST 1997

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

> In <199706260736.AAA27594 at user1.inficad.com>, on 06/26/97
>    at 08:58 AM, Adam Wiggins <nightfall at user1.inficad.com> said:
>
> >Yeah, well this is just the nature of the weapon.  Fists qualify as a
> >blunt object made of flesh and bone.  For the exact same reason a
> >club is going to be a lot more likely to KO someone than actually
> >kill them.
>
> Its worth talking to someone who has some direct combat experience
> (tho an ER tech would do as well).  To take the classic example, it is
> damned difficult to hit someone on the back of the head with
> <whatever> and knock them unconcious without killing them.  The line
> between KO and DOA for head blows is extremely vague, fuzzy, and
> treacherous.

Actually knocking someone out without causing any severe injury is a task
whose difficulty is typically greatly played down. A good knock to the
head from a hefty blunt instrument is very serious, as you say - and blows
from parts of the body (which are softer, and typically carry less force
than an actual weapon) can also be likewise - it's more likely you'll
knock something out than kill it with a few unarmed blows, but it depends
entirely on where you hit - and what with.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"He can't stop us, we're on a mission from Glod!" - Soul Music (Pratchett)