[MUD-Dev] RP=MUSH/PG=MUD

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sat Jul 5 18:20:14 CEST 1997

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 19:59:09 PST8PDT, clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>>Since the aim here is to create a flexible server which does NOT
>>require recompilation to effect changes, this option is completely
>>unacceptable by definition.
>
>Depending on your "here", that's not necessarily a shared goal.
>You're presuming a commonality here that doesn't exist.

My 'here' was 'in the model that I presented'. Evidently my expectation
that the rest of the list has a working command and understanding of the
English language fails real-world testing. I find that every comment I
make must be repeatedly clarified to avoid misunderstanding, quantified
to avoid misapplication, attached to appropriate disclaimers to avoid
accusations of heresy and bigotry, and specifically limited in scope to
avoid being generalised or specified to the point of irrelevance. I've
been rather perturbed by the idea that people would rather address my
language and terms than my message and concepts. It seems that the
actual development of servers isn't being addressed here; just the
implementation of them. Development implies a progression which I just
don't see happening.

>I don't see that the field is in a state where it can support this
>sort of effort.

That's been bothering me, too, which is one of the reasons I haven't
offered up anything of any particular value. The ideal appears to be
unacceptable; therefore, the actual implementation of something
approaching that ideal (which will certainly not be a perfect reflection
of the ideal's concept) would also be unacceptable. I had been hoping to
at the very least locate a few people who found the idea interesting and
were willing to discuss it in greater detail, gradually refining it from
a generality into specifics. The specifics I have in mind are definitely
flawed, in that they result from one person's experience and not
several. A quorum of one is not statistically relevant or
representative.

 I am here to grind your eyes harder into the miasmic bile of life; to
 show you the truth and the beauty in the whisper of steel on silk and
 the crimson scent of blood as it rises to meet the caress of a blade.