[MUD-Dev] Population container

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Mon Jul 7 14:31:06 CEST 1997

In <33c0131e.11425247 at post.demon.co.uk>, on 07/06/97
   at 07:09 PM, Raz <muddyraz at mushroom.demon.co.uk> said:

>On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 20:17:13 PST8PDT, JCL wrote:

>>   The T-Rexx leaves west.
>>   > wait a really long time.
>>   > w
>>   ...no T-Rexx...
>>
>> (No, I don't have a possible solution -- does anyone else?)

>In cases like this, wouldn't it be true that the T-Rexx is never
>'folded back in' to the collective, simply because of the proximity
>to a player? When the player wanders off, zap the dino.

Being deliberately balky:

  Bubba is digging a tunnel thru the mountain.

  The tunnel is extremely long, but has yet to reach to far side.

  Boffo chases a T-Rexx into the tunnel.

  The T-Rexx passes Bubba, heading towards the dead-end.

  Bubba walks very slowly all the way back out to the entrance of
  the tunnel where he fogot his pick, and then very very slowly
  walks back to the end of the tunnel where he's digging.

  He never passes the T-Rexx again?

  Note: Bubba never left the tunnel.  There are no other exits.

This is why I proposed the number of discrete exits, number of
discreete rooms, and total abscence of players (IO redirection) counts
for determining when to KO the dino.  Its still detectable with
sufficient work by players, but its going to cover up (almost?) all
the really obvious cases.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com