[MUD-Dev] Nation of shopkeepers

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Fri Jul 11 08:24:11 CEST 1997

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Jeff Kesselman wrote:

> At 10:16 PM 6/30/97 PST8PDT, Huibai wrote:
> >

> >I've seen capitalistic ventures by individual players succeed.
>
> Heh.

Heh. Heh.

> I knwo one guy whose made thousands of real-world dollars selling special
> items hes acquired in NWN.
>
> Now THATS capitalism for ya :)

Eep.

> Still the msot laughed at announced feature of UOL is that you cna become a
> baker and spend all your tiem baking bread...

It depends on the game crowd you aim at, I suppose. I recently settled
(rather heavy handedly, admittedly) a debate among some of my wizards,
over whether or not the following situation should be permitted:

A healer type character to sit in a central location and heal someone all
day for their 'exp' (meaning: their method to progress, whatever it be).

Personally I see no debate here - of course it should, but with sensible
restrictions. You can't get good at anything but healing (and perhaps
dealing with people) by doing this!

This also ties into activities such as fishing, and crafts. Of course, it
should be possible, but it could get quite boring if the player does it
literally. Fishing is actualy an exception if you get onto deep sea
fishing - pirates and such.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"He can't stop us, we're on a mission from Glod!" - Soul Music (Pratchett)