Virtual Chemistry

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sat Jul 12 22:36:36 CEST 1997

Okay, here's a (relatively) newish topic, to hopefully start an
interesting discussion.

I'll be fairly brief, since my own ideas and thoughts on this are not
extensive at this time.

At a proposal from one of my wizards, I took into consideration a global
'alchemy' setup, which would allow the mixing of potions from ingredients,
for various uses (magical effects, and spell components notably).

We pondered upon storing lists of recipes, and so forth, and then I
thought:

What if we just simulated our own chemistry? Certain objects could as
'ingredients' (not really elements, more compounds), and combining these
ingredients would have predetermined reactions and results. Further
compounds could be obtained by appropriate mixes, which would all have
varying effects on the body (infusion of magic could somehow guide these
effects). This would obviously extend the alchemy idea - the creation of
poisons, herbal compounds and literally anything in any state (which the
PC was able to store).

Has anyone actually attempted anything of this nature, or contemplated it?

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Never enter an arsekicking contest with a porcupine."-Cohen The Barbarian