[MUD-Dev] Virtual Chemistry

Sun Jul 13 09:47:15 CEST 1997

:What if we just simulated our own chemistry? Certain objects could as
:'ingredients' (not really elements, more compounds), and combining these
:ingredients would have predetermined reactions and results. Further
:compounds could be obtained by appropriate mixes, which would all have
:varying effects on the body (infusion of magic could somehow guide these
:effects). This would obviously extend the alchemy idea - the creation of
:poisons, herbal compounds and literally anything in any state (which the
:PC was able to store).

I also find this interesting. I've done a bit of "fixed recipe" stuff,
but haven't actually tried a more general system. The problem I see with
a more general system (where you don't have fixed recipes, but that the
effects come out of general rules applied to the mixing of components),
is that it might be difficult to come up with a set of rules that is
interesting, but that can also allow some useful (and useable!) spells.
You don't want the useful spells to be all simple spells, but you also
don't want all of the spells to be useful. So, how do you make the rules
or formulas work out right?

An approach, that I vaguely recall seeing on this list (?) is to choose
a bunch of "elemental" influences. Each ingredient can supply a few of
the elements in varying strengths. Some influences cancel or mutate the
effects of others, so the varying strengths can sometimes result in
addition, sometimes in cancellation. Each useful spell would require a
few influences of sufficient strength, and perhaps in some required
range of proportions. If the mixture doesn't provide that, the result
just won't happen as desired. Perhaps you don't have enough of the
influence for "distance", and so your fireball explodes in your face, or
perhaps just won't reach the target. If you don't have enough of the
influence for heat, your fireball is just a warm glow (I *know* I've
seen this on the list!). If you have too much of the "water" influence,
your fireball scalds rather than just burns.

You need a fairly detailed world view in order for the various effects to
be meaningful in that world, of course.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA