[MUD-Dev] Virtual Chemistry

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Jul 13 13:48:10 CEST 1997

On Sat 12 Jul, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> > From: Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org>
> > Subject: [MUD-Dev]  Virtual Chemistry

> > What if we just simulated our own chemistry? Certain objects could as
> > 'ingredients' (not really elements, more compounds), and combining these
> > ingredients would have predetermined reactions and results. Further
> > compounds could be obtained by appropriate mixes, which would all have
> > varying effects on the body (infusion of magic could somehow guide these
> > effects). This would obviously extend the alchemy idea - the creation of
> > poisons, herbal compounds and literally anything in any state (which the
> > PC was able to store).

> > Has anyone actually attempted anything of this nature, or contemplated it?

> An excellent idea.  I think we may have peripherally touched on this
> concept in a thread on "assemblies" of objects.  It was my thought that
> these assemblies would have there own predefined attributes and methods
> that hide unassembled objects attributes and methods.  The assembly class
> might have an assemble method and a disassemble method.  The assemble
> method checking that all components are present and the disassemble
> creates the aggregated objects upon disassembly.
> I think some rudimentary chemistry/alchemy could be implemented using
> this technique.

[Jon Lambert's example snipped]

I would recommend taking this one step further back and read a couple
of treatises on alchemy.  While they were inventing chemistry and its
tools they also created an elaborate theory on how things worked. You
might find it useful reading when setting a system of your own.
It is my belief that realistic systems of alchemy (or magic!)  should
follow a logical set of laws.  This should at least explain the chem-
istry of the world.  I.e. explain things like disease  and explosions.
I'm not well versed in this subject myself  so I can't be very precise
but perhaps accupuncture  may serve as an example.  By putting needles
at various places on the body one can take away the awareness of pain,
heal (or speed up healing)  diseases and so on.  The underlying theory
is one of (un)balancing the flow of yin and yang through the body. The
act of putting a needle in a certain part  will attract or divert that
flow.  Accupuncture works because disease is also an unbalance in this
flow and a skilled practicioner can restore balance and thus heal.
If you build a similar underlying theory, perhaps a bit more complica-
ted than yin and yang flows  because it must explain much more, you'll
have a natural working alchemy. Not because there is a recipy, but be-
cause that is what has to happen when you put incompatible elements in
a single brew.
If you want to make things real complicated you could have things like
the zodiac be of importance.  E.g. you can't hope to create the strong
potions involving the 'flowing' aspect  unless the moon is in the sign
of aquarius, the strongest lunar aspect of 'flowing' and so on.  There
is really no limit to what you could do  if there are laws that under-
ly the way the entire world works (al)chemically speaking.  For a more
complete understanding you really should read books on alchemy though.
And if you do, please post a summary here <gr>

marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey