[MUD-Dev] Virtual Chemistry

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user1.inficad.com
Sun Jul 13 22:13:21 CEST 1997

[JL:]
> My assumptions were that the results of the combination/assembly were
> known in advance (created by builders).  I see from some of the other
> posts and yours here that you could in fact create new assemblys on the fly
> given enough rudimentary (al)chemistry.  Perhaps this is a more interesting
> way to proceed?

IMO this is always the best way to proceed.  The result is that your own
game will be more playable to you.  And I'll tell you, there's nothing
cooler than seeing a player create something with your own system that you
never expected (code bugs aside).  This is where programming becomes an
artform of its own, in my mind.  When you create a book or a movie or some
other static piece of art, you're never really surprised with the result,
since you crafted every part of it and the end result is, as I said, static.
When designing a *system*, however, you can end up with effects completely
unexpected and yet completely logical and interesting (if the system was
well designed).  And *that's* when you realize it's all worth it...