[MUD-Dev] META: Making the list public?

Alex Oren alexo at bigfoot.com
Wed Jul 16 11:45:11 CEST 1997

Below is my opinion.
I'm on a signal/noise crusade..

JCL wrote:

} Writing as List Owner:
}
} For a variety of reasons and with considerable encouragement I'm
} considering taking the list public.  Mainly this will consist of
} advertising it in r.g.m.announce and setting up a supporting web page.
} I'm interested in arguments for, against, and surrounding this motion.
} I'm especially interested in concerns, predicted problems, or possible
} ideas for heading off problems.

Case against #1: r.g.m.*

Case against #2: the moderation efforts to keep the list from succumbing to case
#1 will overwhelm you and the list will go down.

} A)  Should the archives be requestable or browsable by non-members?
} Note that this effectively makes ever poster's email address open.

I dunno.  There is a difference between sharing ideas with a small group of
people and putting them in the public domain.

} B)  Should the list be echoed (one way) to a newsgroup?  If it is
} echoed to a newsgroup should that group be a private group on a
} private newsserver, or should I create a moderated alt.mud.development
} group?

I'm firewalled from external newsservers and cannot persuade the sysadmins to
make *any* group that does not directly relate to my work available.

} C) Should the list be split into seperate lists, divided by topic?

No.

} D) How should the list be publicised?

It should not.

} E) How should new membership be handled?

I'd say - keep it invitation only.

Have fun,
Alex.