[MUD-Dev] Source data on Crossbow

Cynbe ru Taren cynbe at laurel.actlab.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 18 11:07:14 CEST 1997

| 	This brings me to something that I have been puzzleing over
| forever.  How can one express all the numbers in a role-playing game
| with the laws of physics.  What is "damage"?  Is the kenetic energy

One could come up with a model pretty easily, but it wouldn't
be too realistic, and I doubt I'd bother personally.  You can
treat the body as a power source with max output per unit time,
and kinetic energy of a club therefor rising linearly with the
time it is swung pre-impact, and damage proportional to kinetic
energy.  Perhaps not too bad a model for a mace or club vs an
armored foe.  But, for example, a rapier vs an unarmored foe
can kill with almost zero energy deposited on target, just by
piercing the heart or brain, and the tip of a sharp sword can
similarly cut an unarmored throat with negligible energy
deposited in-target...