[MUD-Dev] Source data on Crossbow

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Fri Jul 18 19:50:48 CEST 1997

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Michael Hohensee wrote:

> Matt Chatterley wrote:
> >
> > According to my (mis)calculations, the arrow in the example figures would
> > strike a target 100 metres away with a net collision force of 3N.
>
> Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
>
> You can't report a collision by saying it was 3N!  How long does this 3N
> force get applied?  If it is applied instantaniously there will be no
> effect, since force is kg*m/(s^2).  I wanna know what the
> *impulse* imparted by this arrow is.  You know, the integral of force
> with respect to  time!  grrrrr. ;)

Bah. How I applied it doesn't actually matter in this case, since its a
lickle bit absurd to start with. ;) Net force upon impact (first instant).

> > 3N being
> > equal to the force exerted by a 300g mass in earth's gravity. To quote
> > someone whom I have forgotten, "I think.. not."
> >

> You're setting the acceleration due to gravity to 10 m/(s^2)?  ewwwwww.
>
> Sorry, I was all wound up from working on CSGMUD, that I had to do
> something. Thanks for letting me take it out on you Matt. :)

LOL. Heh. Glad my little screw up was useful somehow ;) The gravity thing
is just a comparison btw. If you think how hard it is to hold onto 300g,
thats how much force I came up with an arrow striking with. A lickle bit
out. ;)

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's
	mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." -George Orwell