[MUD-Dev] Multi-threaded programming under Linux

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 22 22:42:23 CEST 1997

> From: Nathan Yospe <yospe at hawaii.edu>
> Subject: [MUD-Dev]  Multi-threaded programming under Linux
> On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>
> :For Linux there is the ACE package at:
> :<http://users.deltanet.com/users/slg/ACE/>
>
> :It is well organized and documented.  I have not used it on Linux however.
>
> It is also huge, and unfortunately, not very modular. Portability is a
> huge advantage, though

A good point.  It encapsulates a whole lot of unrelated functions under
one umbrella.  You can't just choose bits and pieces of it, you must
wear the entire ACE raincoat.  And considering the Win32 port rests
upon the MFC monster, it was a non-starter for me.  The ACE source and
documentation are certainly worth reading in designing your own classes.
The exposed interfaces are well designed and thought out.

Upon rechecking the page, I discovered there is an ACE Java library now.
Those of you playing with Java might want to give it a look.

JL