[MUD-Dev] Stories?

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Mon Jul 28 17:49:30 CEST 1997

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> > From: Matt Chatterley <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org>
> > Subject: [MUD-Dev]  Stories?
> >
> > Actually, from the feedback on this list and the ideas bouncing around,
> > original themes seem a lot more popular among this community.. those of
> > you who are using other peoples work as a basis (are there any?), why did
> > you choose to do so?
> >

> Well I'm heavily plagiarizing Hesiod, Homer, Ovid and a number of
> contemporaries (pre-BC).  These are original interpretations of these
> works though.  I have a builder who is working on the northern tribes
> of Europe.  I imagine one may see Midguard in my mud at some point. ;)
>
> Why?  I find this time period fascinating.

<g> I hadn't considered basing something on history in the same light -
although, I suppose it is somewhat similar. I've not seen any good
historically rooted games in my time - but there are some great eras out
there for the taking.

Interest in a historical period, and aiming at others in the same boat is
certainly IMHO likely to be an obvious reason for the choice (ditto for a
theme) - but are there other large factors?

> I did run into someone who was attempting a recreation of Ancient Judea
> on a cold server.  After several site switches I lost track of them. :(
>
> I do have another possible theme.  I have several hundred pages of
> source material from an active FRP campaign.  While this is original
> material, I consider it sort of generic high fantasy and I don't
> have much interest in developing it further.
> My first thoughts were that translation into a mud would be difficult.
> Although I may be wrong about that and it could form the seeds of a
> secondary world.

Yes. This is something else of interest. I know of at least one game which
evolved from an FRP campaign that had been run for some time.

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's
	mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." -George Orwell