[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun Jun 1 12:26:07 CEST 1997

::short hand of applause for Caliban::

Thank you.  You have summed up MOST cogently the points I was reachign for.

Just two notes;
(1) You do ocassionally meet RPers who pwoergame as well as power gamers
who RP.

The former is usually in my experience because said players came into OLRPG
from CRPGs, or played very limiedt and flawed OLRPGS that act liek CRPGS.
In  CRPG the goal is indeed to "beat the game", one of the biggest reasons
why they are NOT roleplay games.

The latter is because they have discovered that such is useful in achieving
their ultimate goals of power.  WHICH btw identifies the real fundemental
difference-- the goals of the player.  These ultimately color and control
everything they do for good or ill.

(2) I wanetd to point out again that i DO think you CAN make a game for
pwoergamers.  The success of games like Duke and Quake even point to the
fact that there is a pretty large audiance for same.  I do howwever believe
that this kidn of game tends to attract and apeal to less mature
personalities, so you better be ready ot deal with them and that they will
NOT mic with roleplayers and produce anything positive.

JK