[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun Jun 1 16:56:26 CEST 1997

At 04:27 PM 6/1/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>I think a lot of us old time gamers came into roleplaying when we were
>rather young, and we all started as powergamers because it took us so
>long to realise that you don't actually have to win for the game to be
>fun.

Sure, we all started young.. and UNLESS we were lucky enough to star twith
real roleplayers aroudn us it may have been quite awhiel before we
understood the concept.  Ild note however that modern pen and paper
materials are much better at explaining thsi then the games we started with
(like the quote I gave you from the current AD&D players handbook.)

>Well, in time, you start to miss the days when the adventure was always
(list of silly "standard" AD&D stuff deleted)

Not me... I got compeltely bored of that rubbish a long time ago.  I DO
however know another phenoenon from when iw as playign heavily.... we woudl
have AD&D games which ran 10 or 12 hours. After that, we needed to
decompress, so we'ld play something short and SILLY for a few hours, like
Monster Monsters or TOON...

>I'd draw a distinction between the power-gamer and the power-player. The
>power-player plays for power in the eyes of the other players, while the

Power? Or Status?  Im not sure I follow you here.

>>I do howwever believe that this kidn of game tends to attract and apeal to
>>less mature personalities, so you better be ready ot deal with them and
that
>>they will NOT mic with roleplayers and produce anything positive.
>
>They generally *will* produce good roleplayers if someone just takes the
>time to teach them. It takes a long while though.

Acutally it can take realtive short time IF the entire social structure is
RP oriented.  Social pressure can work wonders.  Won;'t hapepn though if
there is any degree of a non-rp society within the game.

JK