[MUD-Dev] Life

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun Jun 1 19:44:08 CEST 1997

At 07:25 PM 6/1/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:

>i have not RP'd in a group larger than 10, nor in any homogenous
>group, but the ensuing mayhem was always a direct result of
>the inability for roll- and role-players to understand the differences
>in their goals.

I agree.  Although because their goals are different, their approaches to
the game are differnet and tedn, IMHO to conflict.  Im not sure just
understanding each other is enough...

>in live-action it's impossible to force them to stay
>IC without either separating groups physically or compromising
>gametime with verbal warnings.

Interesting, I've got soem live action expereince too.  In our live action,
it WAS possible to mix what we tended to call "sport gamers" and role
players", and even have them aprpeciate each other, but you had to design
around both AND inevitbaly an adventure was really "for" one or the other.

>the main advantage a computer
>RP-wannabe game has over a live-action is the seamless nature
>of not hearing neither the dice roll nor the lawyers claim that
>what they did is legal.

Heh.  Dice yes. Lawyers, no...
A game really can't run unelss it is VERY simpel (ie a combat mUD) without
human intervention.  As long as you have humans makign decisions, yo uwill
have lawyers arguing them.

Yo ucan reduce it by "hiding the magician's hands" as much as possible ;)

> i'm not only 'just building a world', i'm
>laying down the laws, and they are very clear in my mind.

If you can make it workas a general design, Il lbe VERY impressed. let me
knwo when itys up and ill come look around :)

JK