[MUD-Dev] Life

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Tue Jun 3 21:04:12 CEST 1997

At 07:21 PM 6/3/97 PST8PDT, Jc lawrence wrote:
>In <3.0.32.19970601123731.00683f00 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 06/01/97
>   at 12:46 PM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:
>
>>Thus, my opinons are as follows:
>>(1) Pkilling just shouldn't be allowed.
>>(2) PvP while potentailly a fine game MUST be limited to games where
>>that is the point and kept limited in a Roleplay envrionment.
>
>>Okay, NOW argue with me now that you knwo my real position :)
>
>If you are attempting an immersive RP environment (and lots of other
>caveats), then I suspect I'd agree with you.  In a non-immersive RP
>game, then no, I don't agree.  I've seen far too many MUDs with free
>or fairly free PK that did not descend into fixed solutions or
>simplistic chest beating.

Fair enough.  I don't see either "fixed solutions" or simplsitic chest
beating to be necessary components of a PvP based game.  Neither however
does their lack suggest a Roleplay game by my definitions.  I suspect what
I call Roleplay, as per the AD&D definition i gave earlier, is what you
call "immersive roleplay".  No probs or disagreements now that our
definitions are clearer.

JK