[MUD-Dev] RP/PG examples

Adam Wiggins nightfall at inficad.com
Tue Jun 3 21:35:19 CEST 1997

[JK:]
> >On Mon, 2 Jun 1997 21:23:49 PST8PDT, clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:
> > The powergamer is more likely to consider an
> >area based on Monty Python and the Holy Grail acceptable, because it's a
> >toy and it's cool. The RPer is likely to consider it frivolous and
> >inappropriate to the standard heroic fantasy setting.
>
> Nope. I disagree 100%. The pwoergamer is liekly to hate it ebcause it makes
> no "sense" and does not have a good game-logic to it that cna be figured
> otu and exploited. A "Holy Grail" area woudl be semi-random and by
> definition illogical.
> On the other hand Roleplayers reallly enjoy a silly diversion. its not
> where they sopend most of their time, but games like TOON and Illuminati
> have always been VERY popular in RP circles.

If we want to argue about silly areas and game premises, I think we could
probably come up with examples all day - there are plenty of them in all
codebases.  (Maybe MOO would 'win'?)
This is a specific example I have to agree with, though.
Shadowdale (Diku) had a very extensive Holy Grail area (in fact, I think
every single scene from the movie could be acted out there) complete
with ridiculous gear which was useless but looked hillarious on characters.
One of players' favorite areas.
And the Holy Hand Grande on Lost Souls (LP) was one of the cooler little
LP toys I've seen. :)

Let's not forget JediMUD, one of the most popular dikumuds and possibly
one of the most inconsistant and unbelievable muds ever made.  Kermit
the Frog in the Seasame Street area was the toughest mob on the mud.
I knew someone who drained their mage's stats straight down to 1 casting
nuclear blast over and over on him in a vein attempt to kill Kermit.

I'm not arguing that silly areas are either good or bad, just saying that
they exist everywhere.  Everyone enjoys a good laugh.