[MUD-Dev] Life

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Wed Jun 4 10:54:52 CEST 1997

In <3.0.32.19970603110403.008f83c0 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 06/03/97
   at 07:14 PM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:

>...In contrast, in a PvP
>situation, the other players' goal is generally NOT to amuse the
>player they are attacking, it is to amuse THEMSELVES at the potential
>expense of the other player.

However this very process of amusing themselves _can_ be amusing to
the other players.  There is the case where the players of a PvP game
are mutually amused attempting each other's destruction.  Doom arenas
often fit into this category as you are so fond of referencing.  The
gain or loss is no longer the game; the /process/ of winning or losing
as measured by the deaths is the game.

Listen to a set of death-matchers after a game.  They tend to be both
mutually and self congratulatory for their losses and wins.  "Damn you
got me good back there!  Good game!" and ""Did you see the way I
creamed that guy?"  There's no amusal at the other's expense.  It is a
romp.  Some PK MUDs do this as well (cf Tron where _NO_ character
lives longer than an hour or so).

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com