[MUD-Dev] Combat and Roleplay

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Wed Jun 4 21:42:55 CEST 1997

At 08:13 PM 6/4/97 PST8PDT, Adam Wiggins wrote:
>>  For this reason, they SHOULD feel a fair amount of cotnrol
>> over this eventuallity.
>
>There's a rather large difference between 'a fair amount of control' and
>'complete control'.

Granted and I really never meant complete control.

But if at any time anywhere an asshole with significantly more exp then you
can jump you and kill you, thats NO control, right?

>I've played a large number of muds with unrestricted player interaction
>(ie, PK etc allowed).  Most of them had little to no admin intervention,
>pre-suposed social structure, or any sort of built-in policing.  Yet
>most of them managed to sustain dozens or even hundreds of users living
>in what is more or less harmony, with the occasional problem case being
>quickly taken care of by players.  There is social structure; there is
>policing; but it's all 100% defined by the players - complete outside
>the 'system'.

OKies. Well I stil think the system has to at least support a combat model
where there is accountability for that to work, and accountability is no
easy nut to crack on the net.

Im also comign to the conclusion that you have all been dealign with FAR
more sophisticated audiances then i have. As long as you remian with thsoe
audiances, I guess you can do that kind of stuff.

>Once again, I agree completely with this.  If you never want to die, don't
>go anyplace it's dangerous.  My game world happens to be set up so
>that there is nowhere at all that is 100% safe, but that is a relative
>rarity on muds.

Well, there needs to be a bit mreo tehn that at least dealign with Joe
Public.  The game needs to never SEND the players into dangerous areas.
We had a problem with this too until we expanded the origial DSO world--
tehre was nopalce we coudl designate a PvP zone that SOME important game
quest didn't bring you through.  The world was way too small.

>the game the way you describe.  I think of role-playing (without an
>qualifiers) in the pure sense of the word - you play a role.  That's
>it.

Do you really? Or do you play yourself within the fictional envrionment? To
me, a roelplayer must act, must take on the personality of a totally
different character with different formative experiences and differnt
points of view on the world? If so, then by defition youa re already
'story-aware" in that youa re responding to your characters' experiences
given the story of what has gone before for the character.

If not then, you are right, I don't consider this roleplay.  I don't think
it matches either the standard pen and paper definition, or the psychology
definition from which the term was taken.

>Guess we're not going to reach any kind of agreement here.  You keep
>saying, 'You must define player behavior.'  I keep saying, 'I've been
>playing games without defined player behaviors for years, and don't really
>understand how this works or what the purpose would be exactly.'  To
>which you respond that you must define player behavior...so guess we can
>just drop it.

Maybe we should but I HATE communciation impasse so forgicve me if I try
once more.  Everyoen coming to the game expects something out of it.  As
extremes the combat jock expects it to be a war of words and punches to
determine who is the strongest (see, i resisted any erefences to anatomy;) )

Your pure "story-drive" roleplayer, to use your terminology for clarity,
expects other players to be sensative to their own character's story and
direction in how they interract.

Put em together with no rules and you have Napoleon and Ghandi trying to do
something in the same space.  The conflict is inevitable.

What is interestign is that people on thsi list who I would term
'roleplayers' by my defintiion all agree on this need.  The oens who I
owuld term PvPers don't seem to understand it or want it.  That in of
itself may be a proof of the diochotomy of which I speak, and the vehemence
we have seen as a smal lexampel ofwhat happens wjhen these peopel meet with
no guidance.

When was the last time JC had to tell this list to clam down over something?
:) :) :)

JK