[MUD-Dev] Room-based vs. coordinate-based

Thu Jun 5 08:24:33 CEST 1997

[Chris L:]

["Domain" example.]

Wouldn't it be easier to treat disjoint domains using the old
separate room model? Something like the tardis makes sense to have its
own internal co-ordinate system, since it could be modelled as being
simple Euclidean internally (although I remember comments about it
reconfiguring itself periodically). Something like your Blue Grass Path
might be easier using just a linked list of "rooms" - that way you can
insert and delete them, or rewire them, fairly easily.

[Vance's "Big Planet"]

That too, unfortunately is packed away in some box of paperbacks. I don't
recall the world you describe, however, so that may not have been the one.
All I can remember about Big Planet is that it was a large planet made
out of low-density material. Anything else that comes to mind is most
likely being mixed up with stuff from "Showboat World".

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA