[MUD-Dev] The Lessons of Lucasfilm's Habitat

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Jun 5 09:52:06 CEST 1997

In <9706041521.842b at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA>, on 06/04/97
   at 08:18 PM, cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA (Chris Gray) said:

>[Chris L:]

>:Dr Cat (I think I sent him an invitation once, please feel free to
>:send him another), did a *really* good summary of the comparitive
>:interface benefits and game-experience implications of 1st person PoV,
>:overhead, back of the head, avatar, etc back in r.g.m.* about 8 - 10
>:months ago.

>I think I remember the article, and I thought I had saved it, but
>couldn't find it just now when I went looking. I don't believe he
>came down very stronly on one viewpoint or another, however. His
>DragonSpires game does use an overhead view style, though.

He didn't come down one way or the other.  He discussed the area along
with with the pros and cons of each interface and how it would affect
the playing experience.

Unfortunately DragonSpires appears to be dead.  <sigh>  I had a lot of
hopes for that game despite its furry take.

Damn.  I'm gonna have to dig that article up now.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com