[MUD-Dev] Life

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Jun 5 15:07:50 CEST 1997

In <3.0.32.19970604221707.00a01470 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 06/05/97
   at 08:07 AM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:

>At 08:23 PM 6/4/97 PST8PDT, jc lawrence wrote:

>>Given that why not just ressurect the child character from the DB,
>>bonk the molester on the head, and resume from where everyone left
>>off?  Whoops!  Turned down a wrong path here: back up, turn around,

>AH. A good question Chris. The answer will probably seem nonsensical
>to you. even i have to admit its a bit strange...

Not quite.  It was the answer I was expecting.  However I wanted to
bring that aspect to light.

>This breaks the ethos of the roleplayer.  If we ignored the bad
>things when they happened we woudl end u pwith very uninteresting
>characters.

Here I suspect you part company with the sotryu telling branch of RP.

>This is the same reason why in DSO our SDKs, or whatever
>you want to call them, whose idea of roleplayign ;'evil' was toi piss
>peopel off, would drop carrier to avoid deat hwhoiel their victims
>woudl not.

I'd see this coming from a different principle:  The RP'ers want to
address their game problems within the confines of the game.  The
concept of dropping carrier doesn't really exist to them as the whole
concept of a carrier is unreal to their characters.

The GOPs however play the game as a part of their RL, so dropping
character is an obvious ploy in dealing with another player IRL.

<<I could see that we are saying the same things in different words
here>>

>Actions like this break the spirit of the game as they play it.

Precisely.

>Did i make that make any sense?

Yup.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net