[MUD-Dev] Room-based vs. coordinate-based

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Jun 5 16:06:48 CEST 1997

In <9706051524.847w at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA>, on 06/05/97
   at 08:29 AM, cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA (Chris Gray) said:

>[Chris L:]

>>["Domain" example.]

>Wouldn't it be easier to treat disjoint domains using the old
>separate room model?

Not quite.  I have the coordinate system to allow some form of global
mapping and equations of the form, "Bubba is at coords x,y,z in domain
####, and therefore he is thataway from here."  The intention in the
end is to eventually extend the coordinate system to a full 3D
presentation ala Alphaworld without their VRML simplifications.

It also makes represneting certain sorts of confusing geometical forms
*much* easier from an area programming perspective.

>[Vance's "Big Planet"]

>That too, unfortunately is packed away in some box of paperbacks.

I'm pretty sure I have the wrong title for that book, tho it was
undoubtedly a Vance.  The style I remember is unmistakable.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com