[MUD-Dev] RP=MUSH/PG=MUD

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user1.inficad.com
Fri Jun 6 05:38:19 CEST 1997

[Caliban:]
> On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:02:47 PST8PDT, Adam Wiggins
> >Hmmm, methinks we ought to get our terms straight. I use mud (capped or
> >not) to group Tiny, LP, Diku, and everything else we think of as
> >being online, text-based role-playing games into one giant lump.
>
> I used to do that. Then I figured out that they were so outrageously
> different that a MUSH and a MUD were entirely different animals.
>
> >If I wish to reference a specific codebase (MUSH, MOO, Diku, MUX, LP,
> >Abber, Ya..) I will do so.  You seem to use MUD as anything that is not a Ti
>
> Pretty much. If the foo shits...
[bunch of codebase stuff I could care less about deleted]

I was going to respond to the specific comments in this message, but
as I got further down I started to realize that there was no obvious
point, nor any useful information being shared, so I won't bother.
Besides which, Nathan already posted something which was more or less
the same sorts of things I would have said, so I won't bother repeating it.

I would, however, just like to state for the record that I could care less
about codebase wars.  I started to realize that Caliban's comments
were actually MUSH-vs-Diku propaganda.  I was discussing codebases only
in the generalist of senses.  I have no specific like or dislike for any
codebase.  They are all pretty much equal in my eyes, but none come
anywhere near to satisfying my (rather lofty) expectations, so I'm
writing my own; a sentiment shared by, I think, many on this list.
If you'd like to continue this 'discussion', Caliban, I'd ask that you
take it to r.g.m.admin, where such things abound.  They are, I think,
competely irrelevant here.

Back to your regularly scheduled signal..