[MUD-Dev] Life

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user1.inficad.com
Tue Jun 10 18:11:45 CEST 1997

> >> I KNOW I've seen an action movie in which the purported main character
> >> dies a third of the way through. The rest of the movie focussed on his
> >> father out seeking revenge. I wouldn't have minded seeing the physicist/
> >> love interest character from The Saint fighting her way out of a hostile
> >> russia after Val's character had been gunned down.
>
> >Awesome, let me know if you remember the name.
>
> The various Russian film companies have recently (last 10 years) taken
> to doing James Bond type action movie clones.  One caveat:  The James
> Bond type character almost always dies before the end, usually before
> he sees the success of his actions.  I note in passing that this
> appears to largely be a cultural expectation: Russians apparently
> culturally require their heroes to be demonstratedly mortal, or at
> least tragicly if subtly flawed (a cultural requirement for mortal
> flaws as vs Grecian idealism and perfection?).

Well, yeah - the recent Chinese action flicks (John Woo being the most
prominent name) do this, as well.  Frequently they die in completely
pointless and painful methods.  I love it!  It's even worth the terrible
dubbing (for some reason the video stores near by house don't seem to have
many subs)...