[MUD-Dev] Name/language generation

Shawn Halpenny malachai at iname.com
Thu Jun 19 09:56:40 CEST 1997

Oliver Jowett wrote:

> I have a sneaking suspicion that I've seen discussion on this before, but
> FWIW..
>
> I'm slowly setting up a system where some NPCs (not the major ones, and
> not the minor - ie. animal-level - ones) are generated with unique names,
> physical characteristics, and personalities. As part of this I need some
> way to generate random names or words in a specific language.

[ implementation snipped ]

> Any suggestions for improving this?

I've been thinking about something similar for spell names, but rather
than do all the work myself, started toying with pronounceable password
generation programs.  Results have been promising.  The one I've been
using can be found at

    http://www.best.com/~thvv/tvvtools.html

It uses trigraphs taken from the language in whatever dictionaries you
feed it, so it should be adaptable without too much trouble to whatever
sort of language you'd like if you've got a nice sample size.

--
Shawn Halpenny

"Let me explain the house rules.  Follow the rules, we'll get along
 like a house on fire."
                                            - "From Dusk Till Dawn"