[MUD-Dev] RP=MUSH/PG=MUD

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Jun 19 16:42:41 CEST 1997

In <33ab6215.54123603 at relay.mnsinc.com>, on 06/18/97
   at 09:27 PM, caliban at darklock.com (Caliban Tiresias Darklock) said:

>On Tue, 17 Jun 1997 20:43:09 PST8PDT, Martin Keegan
><martin at cam.sri.com> wrote:

>>This whole argument could have been avoided by the adoption of the
>>compromise used on Usenet whereby the word "mud" is used to mean
>>"persistent computerised realtime virtual world", thus encompassing Dikus,
>>Tinys, LPs, Abers and the rest.

>You know, I used to get yelled at for that with alarming frequency,
>so I quit doing it and separated the two camps into MUD and MUSH.
>Which was perfectly acceptable until this thread. *shrug* I can't
>seem to win, so I don't particularly care anymore. It was central to
>the concept of the thread that they be separated.

The definition of a MUD as posted here by the list owner:

--<cut>--

  For the purpose of this list, and the areas of topic covered by this
list, a MUD is defined as a Multi-User Dungeon, Multi-User Adventure,
Multi-User Game or any of the other standard extensions of the
original Adventure!, MUD1, MUD2, Shades, etc.  Specifically a MUD is
not defined as a roleplaying environment.  MUDs may or may not be RP
environments without affecting their definition as MUDs or their
validity for discussion on this list.  As such "powergamer", "GOP" or
any other variant use or form of a MUD, such as simulations or even
parallel processing allocation models, are equally welcome and a valid
topic for discussion.  This definition is not open to debate.

--<cut>--

As you mention, it is unfortunately a religious topic.  Lets treat it
as such and realise that we are articulate, literate and intelligent
enough to deal with a religious area without jihads against the
infidel.

<<This is list is NOT the r.g.m.* newsgroups.>>

>...'THESE do combat well and THOSE do immersive roleplay
>well so why don't we take a look at them and see how we can come up
>with a hybrid that does both well?'... I thought that was a pretty
>good question, but I just caught a bunch of flak for it.

It is a good question, and one I'd like to see taken a *lot* further.
How about a general post outlining what you see as the basic strengths
and definitional features of an RP server and a combat server with
possibly some talker aspects thrown in?  I wish I had time to join in
right now...

>I thought that's what this community was about. But I'll shut up now.

It is.  We're just having hiccups.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com