[MUD-Dev] "short" Introductory Message (fwd)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Fri Jun 20 00:49:43 CEST 1997

On Thu 19 Jun, Jeff Kesselman wrote:
> At 09:34 PM 6/18/97 PST8PDT, marian g. wrote:

> >  They want rewards without having to
> >work for them.  But preferably with being given the  -impression- that
> >they have worked fairly hard for it.

> Um, I disagree here. These games tend to be social interractions, many want
> the admiration of others.  Some less mature personalities jus rtwant the
> attention of others. I DO agree many will take the eeasiest perceived route
> to get there.

Maybe I was a bit too harsh. Probably from visiting a diku that showed
the worst of the above qualities.

> >Maybe I should rephrase that to: "players don't like challenges.  They
> >like results. And preferably those results should come sooner for them
> >than they come for the other players."

> This is teh American competitive training at work. IMO.  I personally feel
> these kidsn of games are a wonderful palce to explore and promote
> NONCOMPETITIVE gaming. And yes, such can and does exist.

I won't comment on americans and their upbringing...
But I'm very glad there are non-competitive games around.
One of the things I am hoping for is to find one that is
not competitive but still shows some of the real qualities
of diku muds. Like having a gameworld where things do
happen without players posing them.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,