[MUD-Dev] RP=MUSH/PG=MUD

Sun Jun 22 11:41:53 CEST 1997

[Caliban:]

:GUI interfaces are not generally a good idea for a text-based MUD.
:There's too much text entry required, and the mouse/keyboard switching
:is ultimately a pain and a slowdown. If a particular command in the MUD
:building interface is easily automated by a button, it is also either
:easy to type or should be simplified in the MUD design.

I disagree. Some people are not very good at all with keyboards - watching
them try is very painful. Providing them with a GUI of some sort, even
for things that are "easy to type", will enable them to enjoy building,
thus making them much more likely to actually do it once you leave the room.

:	setexits s=A long tunnel/5321|This long tunnel leads off
:		into the darkness.| n=A dimly lit room/4231|The dimly
:		lit room appears to be uninhabited.|

Blech! Foo! Barf! This sort of command should not be possible. Not only
is it difficult to type, it is difficult to read and verify. I am a touch
typist, but I can't imagine typing that is easier than clicking some
buttons with a mouse.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA