[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Wed Jun 25 12:10:36 CEST 1997

In <3.0.2.32.19970619233333.00c59a38 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 06/20/97
   at 07:13 PM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:

>The goal of the adventure gamer is to be a hero. How do yo usupport a
>world full of geros?  An interestign design topic...

Disagreed.  I see the goal of an adventure gamer to be demonstrabley
competant within the game world.  To the extent that they are
competant they stay alive.  To the extent that they fail to be
competant, they die.  To the extent that their competancy exceeds the
base minimumj required by the world they flourish.  This even accounts
for the moving hand of fate as discussed in the recent dragons thread.
Presuming that the motion and attacks of dragons are not entirely
indeterminate, then it is up to the player's competancy within that
game world to survive, even if the level of determinancy is proximate
to zero.  The greater the prximity to zero, the greater the competancy
required of the player.

Even the King Of The Hill Powergamers play by this rule.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com