[MUD-Dev] Integrating PK

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Wed Jun 25 16:54:54 CEST 1997

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Jeff Kesselman wrote:

> You left two big reasons out-- domination of and/or annoyance of others.
> If you make combat more costly to all combattants you actually INCREASE the
> value for these aims.

Well, this is where we hit the rocks, really - this is what causes me to
even think twice about PK.

Domination, or exertion of power over others for reasonable reasons I
don't actually object to - but to annoy, or upset other players (ie no
character reasons at all), when the player on the giving end doesn't care
what he gets in the end.. then again, this is our "asshole" factor, and we
can simply state in policies that this will not be tolerated, and be as
lenient as we see fit with punishment. I have no qualms with putting a
velvet glove over my iron fist - but can we really exclude these "idiots"
from the game as easily as we might like to think?

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"He can't stop us, we're on a mission from Glod!" - Soul Music (Pratchett)