[MUD-Dev] Rumours

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 25 23:11:17 CEST 1997

> From: Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl>
> On Tue 24 Jun, Adam Wiggins wrote:
>
> > Well, in particular 'taboo' or 'perverse' (as defined by a given society)
> > things tend to be quite rumor-worthy. What this may be varies by society,
> > and that's where things could get interesting.
>
> But I guess that's also where it gets difficult. It's easy to pick up
> words like kill, attack, kiss from a message you hear. But knowing if
> that is normal or peculiar is quite something else I suppose. And if
> things are different from town to town, and depending on races and
> profession that's going to make things even more difficult.

Hehe. I recently was on a mud where I accidentally stumbled into
various pairs of characters engaging in what might be termed "netsex".
I just excused myself and moved on, never giving it another
thought.  What would be the social ramifications of mobile NPCs
stumbling into private conversations and parsing and regurgitated bits
and pieces of emotes and conversation?

the cityguard says, "I saw Bubba fondling Boffo"
the towncrier says, "I saw Bubba kissing Biffy"

I'd hate to be in Bubba's shoes.
Perhaps these rumor-mongering NPCs might have short lifespans.
Careful, that squirrel in the tree might be listening.

> The big question now of course is: does somebody on the list belief this
> is feasible and will attempt to adopt it in his game?

I'm quite sure it is feasible.  I have no plans to adopt it.  I will
be attempting something similar in concept.  I want my NPCs to parse
actions and conversation directed towards themselves and remember it.

1) This could be used for having the NPC recognize characters on sight,
perhaps regurgitating a bit of personalized conversation.

> enter Bakery
The baker stands behind the counter.
The baker says, "Hi Bubba, I haven't seen you in 3 weeks."

2) In determining favorable/unfavorable reaction adjustments.

...Bubba had previously knocked the baker unconscious in a
barroom brawl about a week ago...

> enter Bakery
The baker stands behind the counter.
The baker says, "Humph!"
> buy bread
The baker says, "That will be 500 GPs buddy."

3) And as part of an NPC history log that can also be player
maintained.  The next player to play the NPC can display the
history log, to get a feel of how the NPC should react to
different characters and events.  I allow players to play
multiple NPCs on my mud and pass control back and forth
to other players.

JL