[MUD-Dev] Levels and XP

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Fri Jun 27 18:42:56 CEST 1997

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Huibai wrote:

:
:: Martin Keegan spake:
:: Moreoever, the muds with N classes/races (where N is large)
:: tend to have very bland systems, where class/race is just a
:: stat modifier instead of permeating one's existence within the mud.

:I have decided that 7 races each with 3 classes is plenty (though
:3 of the races have 2 classes only).  Anything more, and I would
:run completely out of _good_ ideas on what their distinctions are.

This really depends on the setting. I have a dozen races so far, and will
likely have more before I run out of cool ideas. (No classes...) Then
again... the first four were the least creative, and they included an
avian species with a complex biotechnology, an intricate flowing language,
an elaborately constructed homeworld with a massive continent of craggy
peaks poking out of an oft-deadly and always gorgeous sea of forest, a
reptilian looking spongy amphibious species that had a cellular structure
more fungoid than animal, a non-centralized nervous system, an ancient and
tradition steeped academic society (and a bitter racial secret, complete
with evidence in a distant galaxy), and a mamalian hunter/predator
species, also with a complete and detailed culture, and detailed reversed
knee motion mechanics. (Bounding, the need for a  running start when
jumping...) The later species are far more diverse (oh, yeah, there were
humans in the first batch.) which probably stems from the lack of
humanoids.

:: IMO, if you're going to have distinct, strongly differentiated
:: groupings of players, the choices between them should not
:: be presented at creation time, but be presented as career
:: moves during gameplay.

:Each of the above has its own player object. (i.e. there are total
:a possible 18 different player types running around, plus 1 RPC
:soul and a godsoul - which is a highest-trust RPC).  Each player
:type has his own command set, though naturally a large fraction
:is common to all of races and classes.  You're simply limited to
:what commands are in that body - which is a lot better than
:making race and class a flag in one common player body, IMO.
:The most vague of differences is listed upon choosing, although
:a more detailed mention can be found in offline player help files.
:Otherwise, players may choose another type upon death. :) Um,
:they may help the gods determine their reincarnation, that is ;)

I'm evil... I tied commands to the Character, not the body... but the body
will often attempt a command from its mind and fail. Flying, while
attemptable, is not much fun without wings.
  /_  / / ) /_  /_) / ) /| /| / /\            First Light of a Nova Dawn
 /   / / \ /_  /_) / \ /-|/ |/ /_/            Final Night of a World Gone
Nathan F. Yospe - University of Hawaii Dept of Physics - yospe at hawaii.edu