[MUD-Dev] "short" Introductory Message (fwd)

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Mon Jun 30 18:52:08 CEST 1997

In <Pine.GSO.3.95q.970625174613.20127A-100000 at uhunix2>, on 06/25/97
   at 09:46 PM, Nathan Yospe <yospe at hawaii.edu> said:

>On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>:cf the endless literary field detailing the bored immortal.
>:
>:cf for creationists, "Why else are there so many species of beetles?"

>God had a beetle complex?

Given that beetle species outnumber all others by several orders of
magnitude....

>:>> Cf my recent description of
>:>> the Fortress Fract, King Mandel, and Princess Julia for a "quest"
>:
>:>The various scenarios mentioned here ought to be written up as some
>:>sort of reference and posted every month, so that newcomers will know
>:>what is being discussed.
>:
>:Not a bad idea in general.  But instead of making it a library of
>:scenarios, how about a summary of the outcomes of threads, a detailing
>:of the tools and scenarios used in those threads, and an outline of
>:the list members and their activities (ie condensed intro)?
>:
>:Perhaps I should start up a meta list for this?

>It would be appreciated.

Without other echoes of interest, I'm leaving it here, or at least way
behind the back burner.

>:Thus we have standards, and things that break standards.  QWERTY vs
>:Maltron vs Dvorak etc.  I think we are early enough in the growth
>:cycle that its still breakable.

>Personally, I suspect that what we have here, on this list, is the
>incubator for the next explosion of standard breakers. This is a good
>thing by me.

Its what I'm hoping for.

>:>Any doubters should read Alberto Barsella's frothings in
>:>r.g.mad (Combat system design thread).

>:Alberto is a member now BTW.  (I think)

>As long as Katrina, Reese, Ashewhatever the third, and Zump and
>company are not admitted... heck, even Katrina and Reese would be OK,
>if they could just learn to shut their traps on occasion... and
>avoided language issues and codebases.

Sooner or later Reese and co are going to make their way here.  I'm
currently entertaining discussion om when, and how to manage things
when he does.  I feel he has a lot to offer *if* the boiler can be
belted down.

>:>> have now been falsely equated with intellectual snobbery and a generic
>:>> denigration of all those not practicing it.  Its a cheap half-arsed
>:>> equation which doesn't stand up, but the media like it, and it sells
>:>> newspapers almost as well as the Sun's page 3, so it must be good.

>:>Hear, hear!

>:Sorry, the Sun hasn't quite perfected the Smello-tit feature.

>I must be missing something here. Is this a tabloid?

The Sun is a UK newspaper <kof> best known for featuring a full-page
bare-titted femme every Wednesday(?) morning issue along with a brief
comment attempting to illuminate her finer, err, perkier, points.  The
Star is much similar, except does there's in colour periodically, but
as an also-ran has no notoriety.

>:A voice is heard thundering down from above:
>:
>:  "Thou are Bad!  Learn to spell!"
>:
>:God has spoken.

>You meant "Thou art Bad! Learneth to spell!", didn't you?

>\***ZZZZAP!!!***\

>Ah. "are" it is.

I was wondering if anyone but Keegan would catch that.

>ob Pratchett "He was the sort of person who would stand on a hilltop
>in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armor and screaming to the
>heavens 'All gods are bastards!'"...

FWLIW I sold my 2400 baud modem to Pratchet when I left the UK many a
year ago.  Still got his phone number around here somewhere...

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com