Resets and repops

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Fri Mar 21 12:53:27 CET 1997

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997 claw at null.net wrote:

:On 19/03/97 at 01:53 PM, Nathan Yospe <yospe at hawaii.edu> said: >On
:Tue, 18 Mar 1997 claw at null.net wrote:
:>>On 17/03/97 at 12:17 PM, "Jon A. Lambert" <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com>
:
:>In other words, no player body stealing, and no
:>disruption of complex evolutionary AIs.
:
:Awwwww.  Body stealing is *so* much fun.

*grin* Aw, well. It could be implemented, of course...

:>> I don't distinguish between any sort of objects, be they rooms,
:>> mobiles, dumb objects, or players.  They're all the same, all do the
:>> same things, and outside of the IO going to a connection object for
:>> players, all run exactly the same  code.
:>
:>That's interesting... you use a free user programming system, though,
:>don't you?
:
:Yup, altho that can be easily disabled/limited.  As each object and
:each method on each object metes its own security (who is allowed to
:call with with what arguments), its *really* easy to bind the object
:creation/programming methods with a more restrictive security level.
:And then of course there are little things like quota systems,
:automatic object recycling, timed object lifespans, etc for the less
:draconian chaps.

Hmmm. But nothing to enforce literary consistancy.

:>My Characters are not physically there... they are sort of
:>a core for a creature to be built around, out of Item components...
:>an Item is simply a composite of Item components with no Character
:>mind behind it. I guess this is partly a result of my limb component
:>system... any Item component, capable of being a full fledged Item in
:>its own right, has a set of Types it inherits behaviors and
:>characteristics from, many of which are precoded in binary form, but
:>which can be added to by internal programming. As such, you can
:>program a Character, but you can also specifically program its arm to
:>be, say, a cybernetic cannon with special targetting...
:
:Interesting.  We had quite a bit of discussion on the old list
:regarding anonymous groups. I suspect with your system they would be a
:doddle.  This relates quite well to few posts from the old list (for
:the new chaps here, clawrenc at xsvr1.cup.hp.com is an old email address
:of mine):
: