[MUD-Dev] Re: Prepositions and parsing

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Thu May 8 17:25:55 CEST 1997

On Tue 06 May, clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

> What with the recent discussion of parsers and methods of parsing
> commands, and old entry from my to-do list popped up:
>   Support for prepositions such as "under", "on top of", "behind" etc.

Jumping in the middle of a discussion with my first post to this list,
and at the risk of pointing out what's been said many times before..
You should start out by knowing where things are with respect to each
other. At the moment it seems that games only know about 'inside' and
'outside', and there's no 'real-thing feeling' to them when interacting.
I.e. they have no size, weight or true position. Unless you have those
there seems to be little point in thinking about more complicated ways
of locating things.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,