[MUD-Dev] Introduction

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Wed May 14 17:50:50 CEST 1997

In <9705150345.805t at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA>, on 05/15/97
   at 08:26 AM, cg at ami-cg.graysage.edmonton.ab.ca (Chris Gray) said:

>[Chris L:]
>:C has adavantages in having a very small clean syntax.  There's a lot
>:to be said for that.  Like ColdC I try to be very C-like in my
>:language, except that its type-less, pointer-less, has no concept of a
>:process environment, and doesn't really have a stack outside of the
>:execution of an individual method (everything is a message).

>Erf! I can't let that go by! C has a small clean syntax??? C has a
>horrible syntax, and when you add the preprocessor and then C++ goop,
>it isn't even close to small! A language with a small clean syntax
>(but which has some other fundamental problems) is Pascal.

Okay, I'm speaking of the base language with its 32 reserved keywords,
not the preprocessor, not C++, etc.  Just the reserved keywords, their
semantics, and the handling of expressions.

<<I tend to think that a pointerless typeless C with a couple touches
added for OO (inheritance mainly) would do very nicely for a MUD
language>>

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com