[MUD-Dev] Re: Role-playing

Shawn Halpenny malachai at iname.com
Mon May 19 11:29:59 CEST 1997

Ling wrote:

> On Fri, 16 May 1997, Shawn Halpenny wrote:
>
> > [ Bubba's desire for a network of thieves ]
> > Admittedly, if Bubba can't code, his chances at getting a really smooth
> > network going are slim, though he can always ask someone to do it for him.
>
> I personally prefer not to expose the players to any code at all if
> possible.  The only exception to this could be programming *inside* the
> game, even then it would be a very simple form (see Gravity, Amiga
> computer game).  In the above, Bob (Bubba changed his name by Deed Poll)
> would hire out a meeting room at the local scouts', his flat/house, some
> sewer (as is the case :), open an account with the bank using any name he
> likes, etc.  If the players need to code something up then I think it's a
> problem with the server.  The mud should be able to cater for most needs
> except for the most extreme.

What if Bob doesn't like how you implemented your meeting room or he
mostly
likes how it works, but wants to add a couple things that fit his
situation?

To me, catering for most needs requires me to start making guesses on
what a
player is going to want to do.  I'd rather give them the fundamental
tools
to do just about anything and let them be used in whatever fashion is
desired to achieve an effect.  This is not to say that there will be no
such
initial offering of things like guilds and banks, etc.  It's just that
those
who want to can inherit that code (or start anew) and make something
that
does exactly what they want, rather than use something that "works well
enough,
but wouldn't it be cool if...".

--
Shawn Halpenny

"I spilled spot remover on my dog.  Now he's gone."
                                            - Steven Wright