[MUD-Dev] Re: Resets and repops

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Mon May 19 21:22:37 CEST 1997

At 07:59 PM 5/19/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>Adam Wiggins wrote:
>
>> > [Chris G.?]
>> > [telnet]
>> >
>> > Nothing much there by default, huh? I guess I should forget about it
>> > then. I just sort of assumed that your run-of-the mill 'telnet' program
>> > would support the full set of telnet options!
>>
>> *thinks hard* As I recall from when I was fooling around with writing a
>> 'normal' text mud client, telnet is just a byte stream with ocassional
>> telnet codes which do something, although I'm not sure what.

Its a full negotiated protocol of codes, and rather compelx and complete...

You can find the RFC at the Magic archive. There is a very nice
state-machine absed implementation method described ina  followup ERFC

A warning though: I implemented a FULL telnet serevr in my MUD awhiel back
ONLy to find that almost NO program that calls itself "telnet" on a PC
really FOLLOWS the damn RFC.

 It's a 0xff