[MUD-Dev] Re: Resets and repops

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Tue May 20 08:22:50 CEST 1997

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Shawn Halpenny wrote:

:Adam Wiggins wrote:
:
:> > [Chris G.?]
:> > [telnet]
:> >
:> > Nothing much there by default, huh? I guess I should forget about it
:> > then. I just sort of assumed that your run-of-the mill 'telnet' program
:> > would support the full set of telnet options!
:>
:> *thinks hard* As I recall from when I was fooling around with writing a
:> 'normal' text mud client, telnet is just a byte stream with ocassional
:> telnet codes which do something, although I'm not sure what.  It's a 0xff
:> character followed by two bytes of code data; all I did was ignore it.
:> As I recall very few of these are defined for stock telnet anyhow, I think
:> it was designed to be some sort of expansion thing which never got used,
:> or at least by anything interesting.
:
:Slightly off topic, but also perhaps slightly related, there is a socket
:implementation that does most of the extra telnet negotiation stuff:
:
:NetServe -- http://www.dtc.rankxerox.co.uk/~robin/netserve.html
:
:I've intentions of using it when I finally get down to coding.  It seems
:quite clear and complete, and having it do all the telnet stuff gives a few
:added perks.  I think it also does user ident too, FWIW.

I've been working at porting the contents of netserve into a set of C++
libraries on top of my threading model (it works as a daemon) for a bit
now. Its quite a good implementation. On another note, I have extended an
invite to Robin (we've been in email contact for longer than I've been on
these lists) but he hasn't got a stable addie yet. He's gota mud of his
own. In any case... yeah, NetServe is a pretty good package.

  /_  / / ) /_  /_) / ) /| /| / /\            First Light of a Nova Dawn
 /   / / \ /_  /_) / \ /-|/ |/ /_/            Final Night of a World Gone
Nathan F. Yospe - University of Hawaii Dept of Physics - yospe at hawaii.edu