[MUD-Dev] Languages

Tue May 20 08:27:06 CEST 1997

[Jeff K:]

:Not a biggie. Theres INET-2 aroudn teh corner. meanwhile, why cant they use
:dynamic IP like everyone else? When you turn it on, it requests an IP
:number.  When you turn it off it frees it up.	or even better, ion activity
:it gets a number (basicly like dial-onb-demand) and after a set period of
:inactivity it relainquishes it.

The problem is that the adoption of IPv6 (I presume that is what you are
referring to?) is going slower than folks had hoped. From what a couple
of networking-type friends have said, it is very quickly coming to a crunch.
And yes, they do use the floating-address scheme.

:SOudsn quite different from American cable TV companies who are lookign to
:leverage existing networks.  Even "fiber to the curb" is proving to be a
:slow process of installation here.

They are sinking a lot of money into it. I'd guess they are hoping to
get there before the phone companies really get going strong (which is
starting to happen, too). A big war for our networking dollars!

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA